- Environment Canada's Marine Weather for the Northern Strait of Georgia (if North and South forecasts are currently the same, you will have to select link for Strait of Georgia from the available choices)
- Environment Canada's local forecast - Campbell River
- NOAA North Pacific Weather Maps
- Animated winds (or currents or) around the world (Windy.com)
- Also check out the downloadable Marine Weather books at the bottom of this page.
Currents and Tides
- Seymour Narrows Currents (This site corrects for Daylight Savings time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Campbell River Tides (This site corrects for Daylight Savings time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Official Tide and current tables (Select either Tide or Current and current year, then the area and finally the station. All values are Standard Time. See on-site disclaimer)
- Most charting programs come with built in tide and current software. However there are many stand alone applications for phones and computers. One problem with some applications is that they do not always keep up to changes to daylight saving dates (yes I know it has been a number of years, but there is some old code out there, also some older computers may not switch over correctly). Please check your selected software against official tide and current data - like above - for a number of dates, and when the change over occurs between standard and daylight savings time and back.
Important Navigation Updates
- Notices to Shipping. Now Navwarnings.
- Notices to Mariners, Chart Patches and List of Lights
- How to Correct your chart
- Safe Boating Guide
- Information related to Boating Course
- Transport Canada Marine Transportation (Regulations - Equipment Regulations, etc.; Ship Safety bulletins, etc.)
- Don't forget your fishing licence
- Report a Marine Mamal incident phone 1-800-465-4336
- Canadian Power Squadron - National
- Canadian Power Squadron - Vancouver Island North
- Canadian Power Squadron - Vancouver Island South
- Campbell River Yacht Club
Other Useful Links
- Cold water shock (Researchers are recognizing that Hypothermia is not the big killer when you first enter the water)
- Bowditch - The American Practical Mariner (a very in-depth text on Navigation released by the US government)
- Animated Knots by Grog (excellent, free online reference)
- Vessel tracking (real time, using AIS, overlaid on a map) courtesy of Siitech - select guest login button
- Glossary of CPS Nautical terms (on the CPS download page)
- History of CCGC Point Race, which served Campbell River from 1982 to 2011
- Pictures and Videos of Scuba Diving around Campbell River. Thanks Roger.
- Booklets from the Government of Canada Publications Archive (free for non-commercial use. Search for other publications via this link)
- National Marine Weather Guide. A good overview of Weather, and how it affects Canada
- National Marine Weather Guide - British Columbia Regional Guide. Includes break down of weather by area, including section on Desolation Sound.
- Oceanography of the British Columbia Coast
- Sea kayaking safety guide
- Passport of boating safety for anglers and hunters